On 13 September 2017 at 19:54, Viktor Dukhovni <postfix-us...@dukhovni.org>
wrote:

> > On Sep 13, 2017, at 4:10 AM, Dominic Raferd <domi...@timedicer.co.uk>
> wrote:
> >
> > As Postfix SMTP server does not support SNI I think there is no point
> using
> > -servername option above, so the above can be shortened to:
> >
> > ​echo |
> > sudo openssl s_client -connect 127.0.0.1:587 -starttls smtp 2>/dev/null
> |
> > openssl x509 -noout -checkend 259200​
>
> There definitely good reason to avoid "sudo", which is unnecessary here.
> As for SNI, indeed not needed if the server being tested is known to be
> Postfix.

​Thanks for the correction and confirmation
​

> > I'm still unclear whether the test is against the certificate data that
> > is held within postfix or that is held within the SASL application
> > (dovecot or cyrus).
>
> Now you betray some confusion, SASL is NOT TLS and does not exchange
> certificates with the SASL client.  The application protocol that
> supports SASL may run over TLS, in which case the server and sometimes
> also the client might present X.509 certificates, but SASL could not
> possibly do that absent a "TLS" mechanism for SASL that would use
> client certificates for authentication and then TLS as the SASL
> "security layer".  AFAIK no such mechanism exists, and Postfix has no
> support for SASL "security layers" in any case.

​Indeed I was confused! So I now understand that the certificate references
in my ​/etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-ssl.conf:

ssl_cert = </etc/letsencrypt/live/mydomain.tld/fullchain.pem
ssl_key = </etc/letsencrypt/live/mydomain.tld/privkey.pem

are irrelevant for SMTP/SASL through Postfix, and are only relevant if the
server is being accessed for POP3 or IMAP. From what I read at
https://wiki.dovecot.org/SSL/DovecotConfiguration it seems that for Dovecot
(unlike Postfix) a manual reload is needed to get it to re-read these
certificates when they have changed. (All off-topic for Postfix, of course,
sorry...)