Hi Viktor,

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:

As far as I understand, the virtual_alias_maps will only do rewriting to local or remote addresses but disregard transport entries.

No, this is not the case.  All that happens with virtual_alias_maps
is recursive rewriting of all input recipient addresses to some final
address.

Ah okay. Then I misunderstood the documentation there. Thanks for clarifying this.

[...]
and the only constraints are:

* Each domain belongs to exactly one address class.
That was clear already from the existing documentation.

* ONLY domains that contain no real recipients to be
 handed off to some transport for delivery may be
 listed in virtual_alias_domains.

So just to confirm: virtual_alias_maps is also consulted for a match for addresses _not_ listed in virtual_alias_domains?

Therefore you can have in virtual_alias_maps:

        # The dreaded catchall applies to all mailboxes that
       # are not explicitly mapped to themselves or out of the
        # domain
        @real.example.com       catc...@local.example.com
        j...@real.example.com   j...@real.example.com

What does the mapping of the mailbox to itself do? I had not seen that before in the docs.

and then in transport_maps:

        j...@real.example.com   uucp

or, conversely

        real.example.com        uucp