Hi Viktor,

> On Oct 16, 2017, at 10:40 PM, Viktor Dukhovni <postfix-us...@dukhovni.org>
> wrote:
>
>> 1.  When using Postfix and virtual domain hosting in this fashion, is
>> there any way to pass SPF when mail from a sending account is forwarded
>> to another host (ie: Gmail) ?
>
> This requires SRS, and fairly effective anti-spam filters.  Much
> simpler to not support forwarding.

I did a quick search on Wikipedia and found the SRS article [1] which is fairly
detailed - I will read through this over the next few days.

Thanks for the tip about effective anti-spam filters.

>> 2. Do I need to be concerned with a SPF SOFTFAIL from GMail when the same
>> message generates a pass for DKIM (I have OpenDKIM configured and running
>> correctly), and DMARC ?  In this case, does a SPF SOFTAIL but a DKIM and
>> DMARC pass mean that SPF is always discounted and the mail won�t be
>> quarantined ?
>
> When the sending domain has both SPF and DKIM, you may be fine, as
> Google should be able to figure out that the message is a real
> hotmail message relayed through your system.  However, much depends
> on the details of the upstream DKIM signature and how it is processed
> by Gmail.

In the diagnostic messages in the message source, it appears that Google is
doing that - determining that Hotmail is a valid source.  It still SOFTFAILS
SPF but scores DKIM OK and thus concludes DMARC is ok.

Thanks,

- J

Sources:

[1] https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sender_Rewriting_Scheme