On 2017-10-26 17:02, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:

>> On Oct 26, 2017, at 5:08 PM, Gao <g...@pztop.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am trying to setup dane on my mail server.
>
> Thanks for been an early adopter. Your enthusiasm is appreciated.
> Don't forget to *monitor* your deployment, by periodically (at
> least daily) checking that your DNSSEC is working and your
> SMTP server certificate chain matches the published TLSA
> records. Make sure you understand how to do certificate
> rotation correctly:
>
> http://postfix.1071664.n5.nabble.com/WoSign-StartCom-CA-in-the-news-td86436.html#a86444
>  [1]
> https://community.letsencrypt.org/t/new-certbot-client-and-csr-option/15766
> [2]
> https://www.internetsociety.org/deploy360/blog/2016/03/lets-encrypt-certificates-for-mail-servers-and-dane-part-2-of-2/
>  [3]
> https://community.letsencrypt.org/t/please-avoid-3-0-1-and-3-0-2-dane-tlsa-records-with-le-certificates/7022
>  [4]
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7671#section-8.1 [5]
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7671#section-8.4 [6]
>
> By combining "3 1 1" + "2 1 1" TLSA records, the rollover process can be
> substantially simplified:
>
> https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/uta/current/msg01498.html [7]
>
>> But I never seen a "Verified TLS connection..." in the log.
>> I always got:
>> Oct 26 13:52:23 cac postfix/smtp[18165]: Untrusted TLS connection
>> established to gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[74.125.124.26]:25: TLSv1.2 with
>> cipher ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 (128/128 bits)
>
> There are two prerequisites for DANE verification to happen:
>
> 1. Your DNS resolver in /etc/resolv.conf needs to be a *validating*
> DNS resolver and for any meaningful security must be either on
> the loopback interface or reachable via a securely keyed IPsec
> tunnel or similar.
>
> AND
>
> 2. The destination domain and its MX host must be in DNSSEC signed
> zones
>
> 3. The MX host must have TLSA records published.
>
> Conditions 2 and 3 are false for google's MX hosts.
>
>> My system is Postfix 3.2.3 on Centos 7.4
>> # postconf -d | grep mail_version
>> mail_version = 3.2.3
>>
>> main.cf:
>> smtp_dns_support_level = dnssec
>> smtp_tls_security_level = dane
>> smtp_tls_loglevel = 1
>
> Condition 1 may be false for your system.

For the DNS part (condition 1) I run a local bind DNS server. The
named.conf have lines:

 forward only;
 forwarders {
 8.8.8.8;
 8.8.4.4;
};

 dnssec-enable yes;
 dnssec-validation yes;

And in ifconfig-eth0 I have: (CentOS 7 use networkmanager so the DNS
setting is no longer in resolv.conf )

DNS1=0.0.0.0

I think this will take care the *validating* DNSSEC issue, am I right?

I'll start working on the cert automatic rotation issue. I am using Lets
Encrypt so I have to solve it.

Cheers,

Gao

Links: