Hello,

I currently have my server configured to perform virtual domain hosting.  It
forwards mail addressed to addresses for my virtual domain (ex: example.com),
to Gmail accounts.

    Mail —> u...@example.com —> u...@gmail.com

I was reading more about the relay_domains parameter in “man 5 postconf”.  It
states:

    “[specifies] destination domains (and subdomains thereof) this system
    will relay mail *TO*”

I note that on Postfix 3.0 and later (my server is Postfix 3.1.0), this value
defaults to an empty value.  When I specify “postconf | grep -i relay_domains”,
I note that if the compatibility_level is 2 or higher (which my server is
configured to), the value defaults to $mydestination.

I have mydestination configured to “localhost”.

How is it, then, that my server is successfully forwarding to Gmail ?  Would I
not have to specify the Gmail DNS names in relay_hosts ?  Should I explicitly
configure that ?

Thanks,

- J