Hi -

I have postfix configured to deliver emails based on custom LDAP queries. One
of these queries issues a custom error response.

If an email is received from an upstream server and in the initial lookup, the
custom error response is generated, the custom error response is returned
properly. eg

server-a > postfix > ldap lookup > custom error response returned

However, if an email is received from an upstream server and the initial query
leads to another LDAP query and then the custom error response, instead of
returning the custom error response, the postfix server takes each individual
word of the error response and turns that into an expanded email address.

server-a > postfix > ldap lookup (mail forwarded to another account) > ldap
lookup > custom error response expanded into individual email addresses

I can also reproduce this issue if I try to do a test directly from the postfix
server. (sendmail -bv emailaddress)

The LDAP queries are defined using virtual_alias_maps.

The postfix server does not have a need to deliver mail "locally". If the email
address is found in the LDAP, then it will use the mail routing information
found in the LDAP to redirect the email to the proper server. If the email
address is not found in the LDAP then the message can be rejected.

tia,
=lc