> On Nov 13, 2017, at 1:02 PM, Rich Shepard <rshep...@appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>
> Since the end of last week I find many messages delayed 1-2 days; several
> hundred are listed in logwatch's daily report. These delayed messages
> include may body_check rejections. However, since Friday pflogsumm is also
> delayed rather than delivered. There are now 2 messages in the mail queue:

Include logs showing the complete history of a delayed message (all
log entries with the problem queue-id).

> # mailq
> -Queue ID-  --Size-- ----Arrival Time---- -Sender/Recipient-------
> 5E148991FE   182118 Mon Nov 13 03:10:26  root
>                                         rshep...@appl-ecosys.com
>
> EF1E2991FD      815 Mon Nov 13 06:59:09  rshep...@appl-ecosys.com
>        (connect to AAAAA.AAAAA.AAA[DDD.DDD.D.DD]:25: Connection timed out)
>                                         mail-list-n...@mail.list.org

Logs are much more useful than mailq output.

> The output of postdconf -Mf is attached.

The main.cf settings (as reported by postconf -n) are much more useful.

> So is the output of the DDD log
> generated after I modified master.cf by appending '-D' to the smtp line.

The smtpd(8) process handles inbound mail, and is not relevant in solving
outbound delivery delays.  There's no need to run anything under a debugger,
the problem you have is almost certainly not a software defect.

Post configuration information and logging for a few sample problem messages.

        Viktor.