On 19 Nov 2017, at 11:36 (-0500), Jack Bates wrote:

Is there a feature I can use to rewrite the To: header, of "virtual alias domain" mail, with the result of the following lookup, *after* smtpd_milters are applied?

SELECT 'b...@example.com' FROM my_table WHERE sender = '%s'

Do you actually have a field named 'b...@example.com' in my_table? That is an unusual choice....

Or do I need to use a milter of my own for this?

Simpler to do with a content filter, unless you already have a highly flexible milter (e.g. MIMEDefang) already in place that can be made to mangle messages. See the FILTER_README file for details.

recipient_canonical_maps and recipient_canonical_classes seem pretty close! I can exclude the From: header and the envelope_recipient from being rewritten, but they're applied *before* smtpd_milters. And I haven't thought carefully about how to limit them to virtual alias domain mail.

My specific situation is that I'm using the OpenDKIM milter to verify mail, so that needs to happen before I rewrite the To: header.

OK, but this leaves an obvious unanswered question: WHY?
Modifying the To header invalidates any DKIM signature so that if the end recipient tries to verify it, the message will appear to be a fake or tampered-with (which it is.) If something downstream is dependent on the To header (instead of the envelope recipient or a header derived from it) that should be corrected, rather than invalidating the signature on the message.

--
Bill Cole
Currently Seeking Steady Work: https://linkedin.com/in/billcole