Hi,

I have a question regarding specifying where the list of trusted CA’s are in
regards to the smtp client.

In man 5 postconf, I can see there are two configuration parameters regarding
this:

    smtp_tls_CAfile
    smtp_tls_CApath

The documentation (as I understand it), notes that:

1. smtp_tls_CAfile

— Specifies file that contains CA certs of root CA’s trusted to sign either
remote SMTP server certificates or intermediate CA certificates

2. smtp_tls_CApath

— Specifies directory with PEM format CA certs that smtp client uses to verify
remote SMTP server certificate
— Preferred over smtp_tls_CAfile when the number of trusted roots is large

On one of my installations of Postfix 3.1.0 on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, I use CAfile
to specify the file that stores all the CA certs:

    smtp_tls_CAfile = /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt

My questions are:

1. Is that correct ?

2. Is there any other guidance on when to prefer smtp_tls_CApath over
smtp_tls_CAfile ?

Thanks,

- J