From: owner-postfix-us...@postfix.org <owner-postfix-us...@postfix.org> on
behalf of Viktor Dukhovni <postfix-us...@dukhovni.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 5:31 PM
To: Postfix users
Subject: Re: question on fallback transport usage

> On Dec 27, 2017, at 5:15 PM, l carr <pandorasbo...@outlook.com> wrote:
>
> What we would like to do, as a transitional state, is mimic the Sendmail
> failover relay to re-direct undeliverable email from the Postfix system to
> Server A. With Server A only handling emails redirected to it from the
> Postfix server, this would allow us to more easily identify the edge cases.
>
> We think we could do this using fallback transport but before we go too deep,
> we'd like to see if anyone else has tried that and if it's a good idea or if
> anyone has a better way to tackle that scenario. In our scenario, we would
> only use the fallback transport until we completed migrating to the new
> system.

The "fallback_transport" setting is a feature of the local(8)
delivery agent, when it finds no alias or local user matching
the localpart of the email address.

If all the problem messages are for a domain in mydestination,
and fail to find a matching "alias" in local delivery, then
indeed fallback_transport might do the trick.

--
        Viktor.