Hi John,

> On Feb 27, 2018, at 3:25 PM, John Fawcett <j...@voipsupport.it> wrote:
> I can't think of a compelling reason either to enable VRFY or to disable
> it. Disabling it stops people abusing it, but then they can just use
> RCPT TO to get the same information in most cases. I disabled it since I
> can't see any use for it.
>
> John

That is a valid point - I believe the VRFY RFC observed the same thing: that
RCPT TO can be used in a similar fashion.

Performing an EHLO to both Gmail and Hotmail/Outlook shows that they both
disable it, which I would expect, but do they implement a policy of a certain
number of invalid RCPT TO cause the connection to terminate ?

I know there is a setting for the number of “junk commands” received in
Postfix, but that is different.  Is there a method via main.cf for restricting
RCPT TO abuse ?

Thanks,

- J