Hi David,

> On Mar 31, 2018, at 8:52 PM, Wietse Venema <wie...@porcupine.org> wrote:
>
> David Mehler:
>> Hello,
>>
>> If anyone has autoconfiguration going with their email domain please
>> email me privately. I'd like to ask you some questions about your
>> setup. What do you use?
>
> Perhaps you can explain what you mean.
> Automatic configuration of Postfix to send mail through an ISP?
> Automatic configuration of clients to send mail through Postfix?
>
>       Wietse

Are you perhaps referring to auto configuration of a client’s MUA (like how
on Apple iOS devices you enter the e-mail address and password and
then Apple Mail discovers submission, IMAP, etc. settings and so forth) ?

The RFC that covers that is RFC 6186 - “Use of SRV Records for Locating
E-mail Submission/Access Services”.

This is done in DNS and is not Postfix-specific.

If I recall correctly, one restriction is that the SMTP AUTH account name
that is used must be the same as the e-mail address - so if you have AUTH
account names that differ from the e-mail address, this is an issue.

Regards,

- J