>>>>> "Roger" == Roger Goh <gpro...@gmail.com> writes:

Roger> There is an external app server (that is our service provider)
Roger> that we want them to blast emails to a team/department in our
Roger> organization (email domain @xyz.com ) but these emails will
Roger> have the sender to be in same domain as us ie @xyz.com.

Roger> What are the risks of permitting such bypass (ie disable
Roger> Norelay) in our MTA (it's MS Exchange) & if we have to permit
Roger> it, what mitigations we can put in place?

Don't let them bypass at all, just give them a login to your mail
system with the appropriate limitations, so that they submit via port
587.  This is how I have my hosted domain handle email from my iphone
and other IMAP devices.

This also means you can assign them a specific sender ID, so you can
track them better.

In your master.cf, you would have something like this for the
submission service:

submission inet  n       -       y       -       -       smtpd
    -o syslog_name=postfix/submission
    -o smtpd_tls_security_level=encrypt
    -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes
    -o smtpd_sasl_type=dovecot
    -o smtpd_sasl_path=private/auth
    -o smtpd_sasl_security_options=noanonymous
    -o
smtpd_recipient_restrictions=permit_sasl_authenticated,reject_non_fqdn_recipient,reject_unauth_destination

And of course allow them access to port 587 on the mail server from
their listed MX servers, or their listed dedicated servers.

John