> when in Thunderbird someone uses the "Custom From Address" feature, it
> doesn't change the envelope sender, but only the actual "From" header
> field

are you sure? I just tested with my TB (60.0) under Linux (Fedora 28)
and found that both (envelope from and from header) are changed to the
value I defined in "custom from address"

Btw: at least the Thunderbird question should go to a thunderbird
mailing list. Not really a postfix issue here :-)

Cheers

tobi