It's probably backscatter:

http://www.postfix.org/BACKSCATTER_README.html

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-postfix-us...@postfix.org [mailto:owner-postfix-us...@postfix.org]
On Behalf Of James B. Byrne
Sent: Wednesday, November 7, 2018 11:06 AM
To: postfix-us...@cloud9.net
Subject: Name Service error but resolver is working

On our IMAP service host I am seeing messages in the mailq similar to the
following:

50DFB12B2F7     7501 Tue Nov  6 17:22:42  MAILER-DAEMON
(delivery temporarily suspended: Host or domain name not found. Name service
error for name=mx31.harte-lyne.ca type=MX: Host not found, try
again)

Postfix on the IMAP host is configured to route outgoing mail through MX31.
And mail is flowing in and out of the IMAP system.  Most things are being
delivered.  But a few messages are stuck in the mail queue with this error and
I cannot figure out what the problem with them is.

I have confirmed that the DNS resolver on both the IMAP host and MX31 are
working.  I can ping from the IMAP host to MX31.  On the IMAP host I can use
swaks to successfully send mail via the localhost.  On the IMAP host I can also
use swaks to successfully send mail via MX31.
The test messages both arrived in the destination mailbox on the IMAP host.

I do not understand what the DNS issue is,  but I cannot flush messages with
this error.

        Do NOT transmit sensitive data via e-Mail  Do NOT open attachments nor
follow links sent by e-Mail

James B. Byrne                mailto:byrn...@harte-lyne.ca
Canada  L8E 3C3