On 26/11/2018 23:18, Noel Jones wrote:
> On 11/26/2018 1:53 PM, John Fawcett wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I was recently trying to whitelist a client hostname that frequently
>> changes ip.
>>
>> From the documentation check_client_access restriction for use with
>> smtpd allows to specify access table lookups which contains hostnames.
>>
>> postscreen_access_list does not seem to allow hostnames in lookup tables.
>>
>> Is my understanding correct? Is there a reason why hostnames should not
>> be supported in postscreen_access_list lookup tables?
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> John
>>

> Yes, postscreen by design deals only with IP addresses.  This is
> because of the intended use as a lightweight and high speed
> front-end for postfix.
>
> You didn't mention why this client changes IP frequently, or what
> problem you're trying to solve.  You might get better suggestions if
> you explain the problem you're having in detail.
>

>   -- Noel Jones

Thanks Noel for the confirmation.

The reason the ip changes frequently is because it's an xDSL line with a
dynamic ip. Some devices on the network need to send emails to my mail
server which can go out over this connection. My ISP correctly lists the
dynamic ips in PBL. I use zen.spamhaus.org list on my mail server which
includes PBL so I am blacklisting email arriving from the xDSL line. I
wanted to make an exception by whitelisting my own ips. For my fixed ips
there is no problem I just list them in an access file. For my dynamic
ip I could not do that easily. I could just use the email relay of my
ISP on these devices, but the the thing is they don't use the xDSL
exclusively. Therefore the only solution I see is to use an
authenticated connection to the mail server.

John