On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 07:04:56PM -0500, Wietse Venema wrote:

> postfix-3.4-20190121-nonprod-logger has lightly-tested code for
> logging to file without using syslogd.

I see that the postlogd(8) service correctly uses a unix-dgram
service to avoid message reordering, so the usual attention to
detail has not deserted you. :-)  Thanks!

For log rotation instructions, I would add that the old file should
not be modified, compressed or otherwise assumed complete, until a
new file is observed to have been written by postlogd(8) after
processing the "reload" command.  If one is not sure whether Postfix
is running, one could use postlog(1) (as root) to cause a new file
to be written, one way or the other.

The only other nit that comes to mind, is that some syslog servers
needlessly delete and re-create their unix-dgram sockets on reload,
which leads to needless opportunities for brief loss of messages
written to the previous incarnation of the socket.

I've not looked to see what master(8) does with the unix-dgram
socket on reload... I expect it is left as-is, I can't think of a
good reason to rebind it.

--
        Viktor.