On Sunday, March 10, 2019 11:11:15 AM Wietse Venema wrote:
> Scott Kitterman:
> > I received the bug report/patch below from a Debian user.  I'm somewhat
> > busy this weekend/week, so I decided to forward it without evaluation
> > rather than sit on it for a week until I could research it.
> >
> > I attempted to remove the distro specific noise from the report.
>
> Sorry for making you the guinea pig.
>
> I am considering to withdraw Postfix 3.4 and do a proper Postfix
> 3.5 release as planned later this year. We can't afford having a
> stable release with bug-of-the-week fixes like we have now.

I knew I was taking a risk jumping to 3.4 late in our release cycle.

A week from now when it hits Debian Testing, the user base will grow
significantly and we'll get more feedback.

I guess there weren't enough testers for 3.4 before release.  I don't know
that that situation will be better later in the year for 3.5.  From my point
of view (I don't know about other distros/OS), it would be somewhat painful to
stay on 3.3 for the next release at this point, but it'll be a lot harder a
week from now.

My preference would be to press on with 3.4 (I don't mind packaging the bug
fixes if you don't mind releasing them), but if you are going to withdraw 3.4,
please do it before next Sunday so I can keep it out of the next Debian
release.

Although Debian doesn't normally allow it, I've gotten permission from the
release team to update postfix based on your microreleases (thir digit) based
on the good history with them fixing relevant bugs with minimal regression
risk.  It's absolutely not a problem for me to stay on the 3.4 path if you're
up for it.

Scott K