Hi Wietse,

On Wed, 3 Apr 2019, Wietse Venema wrote:

I do not know if skipping the printable() call does have any side-effects
though.

As a short-term fix it is probably OK, because the cleanup daemon
already filters the response. But smtpd should not rely on the
cleanup server doing that.

Right. That seems sensible.

A longer-term solution should enforce the single-line form (with
the existing printable(foo, ' ') call) by default, and allow
properly-formatted SMTP when SMTP is allowed. This way, proper
operation of the SMTP daemon won't be affected when the cleanup
daemon is borked. This is basic error containment.

3.5 then. :-) Right now I am still on 3.2 but this gives me a good reason to upgrade.

In the meantime, thank you for the workaround.

cheers,
 Anreas