On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 10:44:05AM -0700, mbridgett wrote:

> I have a problem at the moment, specifically with Epic Games - who are
> claiming that they are sending me password reset emails - but I am never
> receiving them.
>
> I SUSPECT that some outbound mail servers may be doing some kind of check
> (possibly a reverse DNS lookup - and of course my IP address resolves back
> to my ISP hostname and not "my" domain as shown below:

No, reverse DNS checks by the *sender* of email are not plausible.

However, there are few other potential sources of trouble:

    .COM nameservers (MX query, referral):

        byteplayer.com. IN NS ns2.123-reg.co.uk.
        byteplayer.com. IN NS ns.123-reg.co.uk.

    123-reg.co.uk nameservers (MX query, zone apex alias):
        byteplayer.com. IN CNAME byteplayer.dyndns.org.

       [ This could give some not-so-robust DNS clients indigestion ]

    dyndns.org (MX query, NODATA):
        dyndns.org. IN SOA ns1.dyndns.org. hostmas...@dyndns.org. 2820016809
600 300 604800 600

        [ Some broken SMTP senders could require MX records ]

    dyndns.org (A query):
        byteplayer.dyndns.org. IN A 5.68.116.33

    dyndns.org (AAAA query):
        byteplayer.dyndns.org. IN AAAA 2a02:c7f:642c:6600::1

        [ Some SMTP senders could try to only use IPv6 ]

    $ posttls-finger -o inet_protocols=ipv4 -l none byteplayer.com
    posttls-finger: Connected to byteplayer.com[5.68.116.33]:25
    posttls-finger: < 220-mail.byteplayer.com ESMTP Postfix
    <...multi-second greet pause on first connection...>
    posttls-finger: < 220 mail.byteplayer.com ESMTP Postfix
    posttls-finger: > EHLO straasha.imrryr.org
    posttls-finger: < 250-mail.byteplayer.com
    posttls-finger: < 250-PIPELINING
    posttls-finger: < 250-SIZE 50000000
    posttls-finger: < 250-ETRN
    posttls-finger: < 250-STARTTLS
    posttls-finger: < 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
    posttls-finger: < 250-8BITMIME
    posttls-finger: < 250-SMTPUTF8
    posttls-finger: < 250 CHUNKING
    posttls-finger: > QUIT
    posttls-finger: < 221 2.0.0 Bye

        [ Some SMTP senders might give up too quickly, and not get past
          your postscreen greet pause. ]

    $ posttls-finger -o inet_protocols=ipv6  -l may byteplayer.com
    posttls-finger: Failed to establish session to byteplayer.com via
byteplayer.com:
        connect to byteplayer.com[2a02:c7f:642c:6600::1]:25: Operation timed out

        [ You have an IPv6 address, but no SMTP server there,
          that could be a problem. ]

--
        Viktor.