On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 06:11:15PM -0400, Steve Matzura wrote:

> OK, I'm a rank amateur at this. I'll take the CNAME record out.

Note that despite RFC2181 a non-trivial fraction of domains do set
the "exchange" portion of an MX RR to a name that is a CNAME alias.
I am not aware of any MTAs that reject or fail to be able to use
such MX records.

> My MX record looks OK with "10 mail.{my-FQDN}". I will create an A record
> called mail which will point to my machine's IP address.

And yet, this is the preferred configuration.

> I have no NS records at this time.

I assume you do have NS records at the zone cut (perhaps "my-FQDN"
or wherever your domain is delegated to you from some registry,
just none for "mail.my-FQDN").  At the zone cut, an SOA RR, and
NS RRs are required.

--
        Viktor.