On 20.12.19 17:25, Gerben Wierda wrote:
I am trying to understand how my aliases/virtual_users/etc interact.

postfix setup has virtual domains and virtual users, but all users (also those
from different domains) are local dovecot IMAP mailboxes (“separate domains,
unix system accounts”)

main.cf says it is the destination for:
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost, $mydomain,
$myorigin
mydomain = rna.nl
mydomain_fallback = localhost
myhostname = mail.rna.nl
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8, 192.168.2.0/24, [::1]/128
myorigin = dumbledore.rna.nl

Aliases maps are defined in main.cf as follows:
alias_maps = hash:/Library/Server/Mail/Config/postfix/aliases
hash:/Library/Server/Mail/Data/listserver/aliases/list_server_aliases
virtual_alias_maps = $virtual_maps
hash:/Library/Server/Mail/Config/postfix/virtual_users
hash:/Library/Server/Mail/Config/postfix/rna_virtual_users
hash:/Library/Server/Mail/Data/listserver/aliases/list_server_virtual

don't you have dumbledore.rna.nl defined in
/Library/Server/Mail/Config/postfix/virtual_users
/Library/Server/Mail/Config/postfix/rna_virtual_users or
/Library/Server/Mail/Data/listserver/aliases/list_server_virtual by any
chance?

My /Library/Server/Mail/Config/postfix/aliases file contains:
# Person who should get root's mail. Don't receive mail as root!
root:           gerben
# Basic system aliases -- these MUST be present
MAILER-DAEMON:  postmaster
postmaster:     root
postfix:        root

gerben is an existing local user with a dovecot IMAP mailbox who can receive
mail.

The result of trying to mail to r...@rna.nl or r...@dumbledore.rna.nl using
SMTP from another system was originally:
The server response was: <r...@dumbledore.rna.nl>: Recipient address rejected:
User unknown in local recipient table

The server’s name internally is dumbledore.rna.nl (presents itself as
mail.rna.nl on the outside) and the same happened with the r...@rna.nl address
or with ger...@dumbledore.rna.nl, but ger...@rna.nl worked. And
postmas...@rna.nl worked and delivered to gerben’s dovecot mailbox.

Why doesn’t this work? E.g. the server is the final destination for $myorigin
which is dumbledore.rna.nl, but ger...@dumbledore.rna.nl doesn’t work.

With the following in virtual_users:
r...@rna.nl     r...@rna.nl
I can receive mail for root from another system via SMTP to r...@rna.nl, but I
still cannot receive local mail to root from the local /usr/bin/mail or crontab
to ‘root'. It seems that I must have a ~root/.forward with in it:
ger...@rna.nl
or I have to put the following in another /etc/aliases file (not the one
postfix uses):
root: ger...@rna.nl
And not ‘gerben’ as otherwise, the mail ends up in /var/mail/gerben instead of
in dovecot

And I must enter the r...@dumbledore.rna.nl in my virtual_users as well:
r...@rna.nl     r...@rna.nl
r...@dumbledore.rna.nl  r...@rna.nl
to have it covered,

I have it working but it seems all a little complex to me and I get the feeling
that I have made things overly complex. Am I correct?

And what is preferred? An /etc/aliases file that is in use (next to the one I
am using) or a ~root/.forward file?

alias_maps are processed before .forward, virtual_alias_maps before
alias_maps.

It's now safe to throw off your computer.