On 2020-03-18 09:08, Wietse Venema wrote:
> I think this train has left the station almost 30 years ago. The
> only people who care about plaintext are people who were born before
> circa 1980,

> or who are part of some extremist minority.

Which includes anyone who even _knows_ what comprises the body of their email.

The modern internet business model is surveillance based.

Plain text interferes with surveillance and will be marginalized.

Users desiring certain features is not a significant component in these
technical decisions. Outside of possibly being used as a carrot to get them to
adopt a more efficient surveillance system.

Obviously Great God Google is the king of this, but many many minions also
participate (Constant Contact, etc).

Users outside of the above mentioned extremist minority have no idea, or care,
that they increase their vulnerability surface.

johnea