On 19 Jun 2020, at 02:18, Nick Tait <n...@tait.net.nz> wrote:
> 1. My server was using the default MTU of 1500 bytes.
>
> 2. My connection to my ISP uses PPPoE, which adds an 8-byte header onto all
> packets travelling between my home to my ISP, effectively reducing the
> maximum packet size from 1500 bytes down to 1492 bytes. They did have MSS
> clamping set up, but it turned out that it wasn't working for incoming TCP
> connections (i.e. from the Internet to me).

This would be likely to affect ALL incoming mail, not just mail from BT,
wouldn’t it?

(I thought of this, but discarded it because the OP reported only problems with
BT)

--
The person on the other side was a young woman. Very obviously a
        young woman. There was no possible way that she could have been