Thanks for the response, will see if it makes sense to at least disable MTA-STS
for DANE-enabled domains at
https://github.com/Snawoot/postfix-mta-sts-resolver/issues/67.

On 7/4/20 2:10 PM, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 04, 2020 at 01:54:14PM -0400, Matt Corallo wrote:
>
>> The only reference google appears to find on this list to MTA-STS indicates
>> that folks should use an external MTA-STS
>> resolver as a part of smtp_tls_policy_maps (the one by Snawoot on GitHub
>> appears to be good). Sadly, I don't believe its
>> possible to properly capture the DANE/MTA-STS interaction using
>> smtp_tls_policy_maps - specifically, the MTA-STS RFC states:
>>
>>    senders who implement MTA-STS validation MUST NOT allow MTA-STS
>>    Policy validation to override a failing DANE validation.
>
> Yes, but for now, with deployment of both rather thin, and the
> intersection practically empty, it is OK to accept MTA-STS success even
> if perhaps the DANE policy would have failed.

Hmm, I'd think nearly every DANE-enabled domain would *also* enable MTA-STS.
For example Protonmail has both enabled.

>> This doesn't seem possible with smtp_tls_policy_maps - either you
>> return that a domain must be secured by TLS Certificate Authorities,
>> or you require DANE, but I don't see a way to require both.
>
> Yes, there is no mechanism to validate both, or to have existence of
> TLSA records suppress the MTA-STS resolver policy.

Right, so for now the only option is to have the MTA-STS resolver return
"dane-only" if it thinks DANE is enabled on all
the MXs and hope for the best.

>> Did I miss something? Any chance we could get proper MTA-STS support
>> built into Postfix?
>
> Probably not this year.  I'll be more motivated when I see Google
> supporting DANE outbound. Also at least inbound on mx[1-4].smtp.goog,
> which are already signed, thus not publishing the associated TLSA RRs
> smacks of negligence to me.

Google has always had a hatred of DNSSEC because of the 1024-bit root. Of
course that hatred of DNSSEC is a cargo-cult
hatred at this point given 1024-bit keys are long, long gone from the root and
most TLDs at this point. Still,
Outlook/MS should be the big example here - they have MTA-STS set to "testing"
today, but presumably that will change,
and have committed to DANE next year.

Matt