I’m trying to figure out how to tell make {install | upgrade} to install
sendmail eleswhere? I tried sendmail_path=/usr/local/sbin as well as
-DDEF_SENDMAIL_PATH and while that changes the default value of sendmail_path,
it still installs in /usr/sbin.

Background: last week, I finally upgraded one of my Macintoshes to Catalina
(MacOS 10.15.6). I build Postfix from source. In this version, Apple has
tightened down modifications to the system even more (it’s now on a read-only
partition that normally only MacOS upgrade packages can modify). For the last
few versions, if you turned off Apple’s System Integrity Protection (SIP), the
Postfix make install | upgrade could install its version of the sendmail
executable in /usr/sbin. With Catalina, now you also need to remount the root
file system as writable (mount -uw /). I figure at some point Apple will find a
way to stop that as well. And I don’t need the Postfix built sendmail in
/usr/bin as I have Apple’s built-in Postfix configured to write to the same
queue files so it works fine anyway.

--
Larry Stone
lston...@stonejongleux.com