On a regular sending host I have set 'myhostname' (because logical hostname
differs from the system-level nee AWS autogenerated hostname),
'myorigin=$myhostname' (Postfix default) and 'relayhost=[1.2.3.4]' but
'mydestination' does NOT include $myhostname. I want the relayhost to be the
sole repository of rewrite rules.

When I use the mailx tool on a regular host and compose a message to 'root'
both the FROM and TO are written as 'root@$myorigin'. This means that at the
relayhost I have to include every known host in the 'mydestination' list so
that it will then consult /etc/aliases (or Cononical maps) and change the TO
value of 'root | root@domain | root@source_hostname' to
'realaccount@someother_domain'. For a handful of machines this is not a
problem.

1. What to do when it's a dynamic set or many hosts?

2. I would like the 'TO' to either remain a naked/incomplete 'root' or at worst
'root@mydomain' when it leaves the source machines, but I can't lose the FROM
address being fully qualified as 'root@myhostname.mydomain'. In other words,
"don't attempt local delivery ever, and if FROM is incomplete, tack on
'@$origin'.
What combination of settings permits that? The configuration on the source host
needs to be as trivial as possible.

3. At the relayhost should I use 'remote_header_rewrite = mydomain.com' or is
that dangerous? Should I instead use 'local_header_rewrite_clients =
permit_mynetworks' which will convert incomplete TO addresses (eg. 'root') to
'root@myorigin'? Are the results then fed to the Canonical maps?

4. instead of using /etc/aliases on the relayhost (local delivery is not
intended) I should probably use something more efficient like Cononical maps.

5. Should there be no Cononical mapping at the relayhost, it looks like I need
to set 'local_recipient_maps =' and 'luser_relay = bounce+$user@localhost' so
the relayhost squelches returns and bounces for supposedly local destination.
Does that sound correct?