Hi,

On 28/8/2020 11:25 am, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 02:04:36AM +0000, Dominic Lai wrote:
>> We have a few number of users who make use
>> of vacation program (when they are on leave) so
>> that upon activation, a .forward file is made
>> under the home directory as:
>>
>> \username, "|/usr/bin/vacation username"
>
> Well, aliases(5) and .forward files are processed by the Postfix
> local(8) delivery agent, and if you replace it with something else, then
> aliases(5) and .forward files may not be processed at all.
>
> And really the question that you should be asking is how to deliver
> email both to Dovecot and to a vacation program.  The "\username" thing
> is perhaps a distraction, unless you have no other means to turn the
> feature on.

The mail log reports as follows:

Aug 28 10:11:36 postfix-server postfix/local[3915542]: 2D8F33028D88:
to=<usern...@postfix-server.mydomain.com>, relay=local,
delay=0.06, delays=0.05/0/0/0.01, dsn=5.4.6, status=bounced (mail
forwarding loop for usern...@postfix-server.mydomain.com)

When I look at dovecot log (I have got mail_log plugins on), and
I note that postfix bounced this message even before handling it
to dovecot-lda (ie. dovecot-lda does not even record any handling of
this transaction).

However, if I changed the .forward as follows:

username@localhost, "|/usr/bin/vacation username"

Then vacation works, username can also receive a copy of email.

If:

\username, "|/usr/bin/vacation username"

the sender would receive a mailer bounce complaining of
mail forward looping, while vacation part works.

This is why I asked if "\username" is not honored anymore.

Dominic

P.S. : Postfix version - 3.3.1, bundled from CentOS 8 distribution

--
Dominic Lai
HKUST