Jaroslaw Rafa wrote:
> Dnia 23.11.2020 o godz. 10:18:39 D'Arcy Cain pisze:
> > After the first message was accepted all of the rest
> > were silently dropped as duplicates due to a very standard procmail
> > recipe:
> >
> > :0 Wh: msgid.lock
> > | formail -D 65536 $HOME/.msgid.cache
>
> Who uses that? It's not normal to get email duplicates and it usually
> means that mail system is not functioning properly. They should find the
> cause of the duplicates and eliminate it instead of hiding symptoms...

Although I have been using procmail since the inception of it I have
always found this type rule problematic.  Because for me it keeps the
wrong message.  If I am sent a direct copy and a mailing list copy
then the copy I want is the mailing list copy.

But so many people use Gmail these days that they have gotten used to
the way Gmail does things.  And Gmail de-duplicates and saves the
first message with any particular message-id that arrives.  And then
displays a "mailbox" showing a view of the current tag being
displayed.  It's a very different paradigm from having separate
mailbox folders for different topics.  Gmail has one mailbox for
everything and multiple tags are possible on each message and only
displays the current display tag view of the mailbox.  And since it is
one mailbox it de-duplicates by only showing the first message-id.
And people have gotten used to that paradigm.  But it does cause some
odd behavior when dealing with mailing lists.

Bob