From: owner-postfix-us...@postfix.org <owner-postfix-us...@postfix.org> on
behalf of Viktor Dukhovni <postfix-us...@dukhovni.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 10, 2021 18:39
To: postfix-users@postfix.org
Subject: Re: client and ehlo hostname mismatch

> On Feb 10, 2021, at 9:38 PM, Eugene Podshivalov <yauge...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Are there any wise cases for a legitimate client to provide a valid ehlo
> hostname (which maps to some address) but that address will differ from
> the address it connects from?

I don't know about "wise", but this is not uncommon.

As an example of a less blatant mismatch, today I received a legitimate
newsletter from Cornell:

The EHLO name resolves to the same IP as the connecting client, but
the PTR is a variant of that name.

Here the sort of mismatch you're asking about:

[IPv6:2a01:111:f400:fe5a::72c])

The EHLO name (presently) resolves to:

        $ getent hosts NAM12-MW2-obe.outbound.protection.outlook.com
        2a01:111:f400:fe5a::200 NAM12-MW2-obe.outbound.protection.outlook.com

        $ getent hosts mail-mw2nam12on2072c.outbound.protection.outlook.com
        2a01:111:f400:fe5a::72c
mail-mw2nam12on2072c.outbound.protection.outlook.com

        $ getent hosts 2a01:111:f400:fe5a::72c
        2a01:111:f400:fe5a::72c
mail-mw2nam12on2072c.outbound.protection.outlook.com

--
        Viktor.