On 12/02/21 6:57 pm, Bob Proulx wrote:
Nick Tait wrote:
Perhaps the advice should be: If you are using Sendmail, then (a) you
shouldn't publish a DMARC policy and (b) you shouldn't reject emails
based on failed DMARC check; but if you aren't using Sendmail then as
long as you don't mind rejecting emails from misconfigured domains, then
it is fine to apply whatever policy is published by that domain? The way
I see it at least when you reject an email it might give the sender a
clue that they have a DMARC problem? ...That is, except when their email
has been forwarded by a mailing list. :-(
Sorry I meant to say: "If you are using Sendmail, then (a) you shouldn't
publish a */p=reject/* DMARC policy..."
DMARC is for other people for your outgoing mail.  To instruct other
sites as to what you wish them to do.  It is these other sites that
might be running Sendmail not yours.

I probably confused things with my correction... The full text was supposed to say: "If you are using Sendmail, then (a) you shouldn't publish a p=reject DMARC policy and (b) you shouldn't reject emails based on failed DMARC check; but if you aren't using Sendmail then as long as you don't mind rejecting emails from misconfigured domains, then it is fine to apply whatever policy is published by that domain?"

In that case, (b) applies to /them/.