On 4/18/21 8:04 PM, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:

> This rather mixes end-to-end properties (the message envelope sender is
> a fixed element of a mult-hop SMTP relay chain) with hop-by-hop
> properties (TLS client certificates).
>
> Permitting particular client certs is fine for MSA relay authorisation,
> but is rather dubious for enforcing the envelope sender domain.
>
> Are then going to forbid the use of these sender domains unless the
> client presents a corresponding certificate?  Is this an a message
> submission service or an inbound MTA?
>
>> Each system is issued a certificate for its own domain.  Perhaps a
>> better example would be email Subject Alternative Names.
>
> That's not an example (use-case), it is a certificate field.  What
> is the use-case.  With some specificity...

If I were to run my own email server (I don’t, but I plan on doing
so someday), my preferred means of authentication would be by client
certificate.  And I would want users to be able to send emails as a
specific user if, and only if, I have issued them a certificate with
the corresponding email address in the SAN.

Why client certificates?  Because requiring authentication to even
connect to the service avoids whole heaps of problems.  If the
user doesn’t present a certificate, they aren’t going to even
get an SMTP greeting, much less be able to send mail.  And that is
extremely easy to validate: I just need to ensure that connections
with no certificate, or with an invalid certificate, fail during
TLS negotiation.  Furthermore, client certificate authentication
does not require any form of credentials (other than the server’s
own certificate) to be stored on the server, nor does it require
that the server have any form of authentication database.  Finally,
Postfix needs to run TLS and verify certificates anyway, so that it
can securely relay mail.  So client certificate authentication hardly
increases the attack surface at all.

Sincerely,

Demi