May 10 09:17:42 smtp01 postfix/smtpd[21033]: warning: SASL
authentication failure: cannot connect to saslauthd server: No such file
or directory

this is a problem

/var/run/saslauthd is present - yes
/var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd is present - yes

Is one dir link to another?
Do you see any files there?

It seems like both of them are "their own files" - none of them are symlinked to anything

/var/run:
drwx--x---  2 root   sasl     140 May 10 09:17 saslauthd

/var/spool/postfix/var/run
drwxr-xr-x 2 root sasl 4096 May 10 09:10 saslauthd