On 3/6/21 03:43, Daniel Ryšlink wrote:

That being said, the most problems "hurting your eyes" come not from the bright colors themselves (although choosing dark color scheme mitigates the problem), but from the phenomenon called "screen flicker". Most LCD and all OLED screens use a technique called PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) to control brightness, because they capable of only two states - off (black) and on on maximum brightness. PWM periodically switches on and off the screen, creating the illusion of dimming the screen gradually (although it, in fact, does not) - there is a set PWM frequency, starting from 240Hz (very bad, severe flicker) to thousands of kHz that should theoretically be harmless, except it often is not, and according to your brightness setting, the screen is dark part of the cycle and lit during the rest (for example if brightness is set to 50%, it's exactly half and half. if set to 100 percent, the scree usually does not flicker at all, staying on all the time).

Thank you for this sharing. I will lookout for flicker free monitors for my next purchase.

P.V.Anthony