It broke because as Bastian pointed out in CentOS 8 the Postfix
service definition (postfix.service) changed with the addition of
PrivateTmp=true. CentOS 7 did not have that so used the "standard"
/tmp. Your process WAS WORKING - just not writing to the /tmp you
were looking at, but to the postfix service's private /tmp.

Pardon me, what I meant was that this used to work with CentOS 8.

That's interesting... 8.4 saw the upgrade to Postfix 3.5.8 (from 3.3.1 I believe) which was a major change, but nothing in the release notes (see /usr/share/doc/postfix/README-RedHat.txt on an 8.4 system) mentions a change to the .service file, nor at https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html/8.4_release_notes/new-features#enhancement_infrastructure-services.

And the changelog only refers to the one bugzilla:

* Fri Nov 13 2020 Jaroslav Škarvada <jskar...@redhat.com> - 2:3.5.8-1
  - New version
    Resolves: rhbz#1688389

When did you first see the change?

We are possibly straying a little from this mailing list's function...

Simon.

--
Simon Wilson
M: 0400 12 11 16