On 2021 Jul 29, 15:48, raf wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 11:20:03PM -0400, Viktor Dukhovni
> <postfix-us...@dukhovni.org> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 12:18:25PM +1000, raf wrote:
> >
> > > And similarly, port 25 will never be TLS-only. STARTTLS
> > > isn't going away.
> >
> > I am less certain that public Internet SMTP will not in the next decade
> > or two switch to STARTTLS required.
>
> The Rhenus email makes it look like that transition is starting.

Well, it's not exactly clear, in the Rhenus notification, whether they
are just disabling TLS 1.0, or that plus also disabling plain text SMTP.

Viktor thinks it's just the first case. But we should not underestimate
the push that a checklist-based security audit can exert on an
overburdened IT Dept.

I will find out for sure on the first of August, or the following days,
for if they (Rhenus) disable plain text SMTP in their publicly-referenced
SMTP servers, PAIN will ensue and my urgent intervention will probably
be requested to "fix" things...

Regards,

--
Josh Good