On Sat, Jul 31, 2021 at 03:59:07PM +0200, Hadmut Danisch <had...@danisch.de>
wrote:

> On 30.07.21 23:09, Wietse Venema wrote:
> > This is not needed. Postfix 3.0 and later log the AUTH failure AND
> > the client IP address together:
> >
> >     postfix/smtpd[xxx]: disconnect from unknown[x.x.x.x] auth=0/1
> > commands=0/1
> >
> > This is logged even when AUTH is disabled (as it should be on port 25).
> >
> >     Wietse
>
> Unfortunately, we cannot simply turn off AUTH on port 25, since we have
> some unexperienced users (including their children) who would not simply
> understand what we are asking for and what to do, if we tell them to use
> the submission port.
>
> We therefore would need to detect who is still using auth on port 25 to
> give some individual support and have it fixed.
>
> Is there a way to make postfix tell in the logs whether someone
> authenticated on port 25 or 587?
>
> regards
> Hadmut

With only ports 25 and 465 open, the Mail app on an
iphone will auto-configure itself to use port 25. It
would use port 587/STARTTLS if that were open, but
sadly, it ignores 465/TLS). The iphone can be coerced
into connecting to port 465 but it doesn't happen
without manual intervention.

cheers,
raf