> On 2021 Aug 14, at 12:27, Viktor Dukhovni <postfix-us...@dukhovni.org> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Aug 14, 2021 at 11:54:12AM -0600, @lbutlr wrote:
>
>> On 10 Aug 2021, at 17:48, raf <post...@raf.org> wrote:
>>> Note: I'm not recommending this. I expect that the existing default
>>> has been arrived at after much observation and careful thought.
>>> But the option to do this is there if that's what you want.
>>
>> That said, the possibility isn’t interesting enough for me to take a swing
>> at it. The default limit is 40 (which I have to say, does seem high).
>
> Not sure where you get 40, I see:
>
>    $ postconf -d | grep error_limit
>    smtpd_hard_error_limit = ${stress?{1}:{20}}
>    smtpd_soft_error_limit = 10

Hmm. I was not aware I had changed the limit. It must have been done many many
years ago.

% postconf smtpd_hard_error_limit
smtpd_hard_error_limit = 40

Sorry about that.

>> In theory, setting the value to 1 would cause good clients to retry,
>> but we all know about that problem, so perhaps not. Is there anything
>> logged when the limit is reached?
>>
>> Also, note that the limit has to be at least 1, and I am not sure what
>> 0 would do. Perhaps set the error limit to infinity?
>
> No, smtpd(8) will fail to start, logging an invalid configuration.  The
> limit MUST be at least 1.

Good to know. I'm not planning on setting it that low 😃

--
I loved you when our love was blessed I love you now there's nothing
        left But sorrow and a sense of overtime