On 31/12/2021 10:36, Doug Denault wrote:
This is a postfix/cyrus/mysql system running in a FreeBSD jail. It is (as far as I can make it) identical to a bare metal with the same configuration. Delivery & reading email works fine, the jailed system will not send email failing with:

cyrus postfix/smtpd[51745]: warning: SASL: Connect to smtpd failed: No such file or directory
cyrus postfix/smtpd[51745]: fatal: no SASL authentication mechanisms

The warning message (at least in the latest version of postfix) is given only for smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot, so seems that dovecot SASL is configured, not cyrus SASL and postfix is interpreting "smtpd" which is your smtpd_sasl_path setting as the dovecot socket path to connect to for authentication.

postconf -n

don't see it and all the internet seems to use dovecot but I don't see how whatever imap impacks smtp. Thanks for any thoughts

_____
Douglas Denault
http://www.safeport.com
d...@safeport.com
Voice: 301-217-9220
  Fax: 301-217-9277

Doug

Which imap server you use is irrelevant. It is relevant which SASL implementation you use.

postconf -a will give the available SASL implementations.

postconf smtpd_sasl_type will give the configured one. However, you may have some override to that parameter configured in master.cf.

Hope that helps you track it down.

John