Hi,

On Mar/06/2022, Wietse Venema wrote:
> Carles Pina i Estany:
> > > You can't use reject_unknown_client_hostname for that
> > > site, if you want to receive their email.
> >
> > I think that it might be possible to white list a client?
> > Described in:
> > https://serverfault.com/questions/202978/can-i-make-an-exception-to-reject-unknown-client-hostname
> >
> > I haven't tried it.
>
> You could also try to run Postfix without reject_unknown_client_hostname.

I did for a different instance and yes, Postfix accepted the email. I
see lots of spam email rejected thanks to this.

Now that I'm here, I would like to add:

I think that what confused me is that Postfix said:
NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[188.39.73.166]: 450 4.7.25 Client host
rejected: cannot find your hostname, [188.39.73.166]; from=<something>
to=<user@domain>...

Because it says "from UNKNOWN" (capitals are mine) I thought that
Postfix couldn't find the hostname ("IP address->name mapping fails"
case). I didn't think of a mismatch ("name->address mapping not matching
the client IP address") (Unknown it implied to me a problem with the DNS
resolving... and a 4XX I read that is a softfail not a hard fail)

Obviously it's well written in the docs :-) I should have read them!

Cheers,

--
Carles Pina i Estany
https://carles.pina.cat