On Sat, Apr 30, 2022 at 01:11:05AM -0400, Viktor Dukhovni
<postfix-us...@dukhovni.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 30, 2022 at 10:28:06AM +1000, raf wrote:
>
> > > .domain.tld
> > >
> > > Matches subdomains of domain.tld, but only when the
> > > string smtpd_access_maps is not listed in the Postfix
> > > parent_domain_matches_subdomains configuration setting.
> >
> > The .domain.tld notation only covers a single level of
> > subdomain,
>
> This is false.  With non-regexp access(5) tables, each level of the
> domain hierarchy is tried in turn, all the way up to the TLD.

Thanks for the correction. Multiple lookups is much
easier than what I thought was needed. That's not at
all how I interpreted access(5). When describing lookup
order, it mentions domain.tld matching subdomains (when
smtpd_access_maps is in parent_domain_matches_subdomains),
but I've always understood the term "subdomains" (in
other contexts) to only refer to a single level.

Multiple lookups is documented visually in the case of
network addresses (in HOST NAME/ADDRESS PATTERNS),
where it says:

  net.work.addr.ess
  net.work.addr
  net.work
  net

  net:work:addr:ess
  net:work:addr
  net:work
  net

Perhaps the domain version could be expanded from:

  domain.tld

to:

  sub.domain.tld
  domain.tld
  tld

That would make it clear that there are multiple
lookups happening on domain names at all levels.
Although it would have to somehow be made clear that
those multiple lookups don't apply to regexp-based
access tables. It's tricky to express all that.
Although the existing description in "REGULAR
EXPRESSION TABLES" would probably cover it, as it says
"Thus, no parent domain or parent network search is
done...". Currently, I think that sentence is the only
indication that there are multiple domain lookups in
non-regexp access tables. That fact could be made
more prominent.

> If "parent_domain_matches_subdomains" includes "smtpd_access_maps",
> then the parent domain keys are "dotless", otherwise all parent
> domain lookup keys start with a leading ".".

Ah yes, and access(5) says .domain.tld only matches
subdomains when smtpd_access_maps is not in
parent_domain_matches_subdomains, but it is there by
default, so ".domain.tld" wouldn't work at all. It
needs to be "domain.tld".

So, the rbl_override file only needs:

  siriusxm.com OK

or maybe:

  e.siriusxm.com OK

If all the good mail to be accepted only comes from
that subdomain.

> --
>     Viktor.

cheers,