On Wed, May 25, 2022 at 12:56:18PM -0600, James Feeney <ja...@nurealm.net>
wrote:

> On 5/24/22 08:24, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
>
> > Milters learn about the role of the requesting MTA via a macro.  Thus
> > in the stock master.cf for the submission-related ports:
> >
> >      -o milter_macro_daemon_name=ORIGINATING
>
> Ah!  Interesting.  Thanks.
>
> Yet note that this term "ORIGINATING" is nowhere to be seen in the Postfix
> "Milter Readme" - let alone explained.

I think that's because the milter protocol wasn't
created for postfix. It was created for sendmail. So
postfix doesn't document that protocol. It just adopted
it. Documenting it is sendmail's job. But it would be
good to have a reference to its documentation added to
the milter readme. I once went searching for the milter
protocol documentation and had trouble.

cheers,
raf