On 27.09.22 10:51, charlie derr wrote:
During a planned transition of our mail infrastructure, it would seem
[1] that one of the most attractive options (for handling dual-delivery
as we try to sync up information and get every user's archived folders
and the emails in them imported into the gmail environment) will be for
us to add a 2nd postfix instance on the same virtual machine where our
current single production postfix instance exists (and has been very
reliably carrying out our email delivery for decades (though obviously
we've upgraded a couple times)).

Are there best practices for doing this?

We currently do have another server (that is part of our email
infrastructure) that does filtering of incoming email (only that which
arrives from "outside") using a (now ancient) Sophos PureMessage
instance. This server runs both a "native" postfix instance, and a 2nd
postfix instance (though that 2nd one is part of the Sophos PureMessage
installation, and so is not just a different set of config files, but is
also a fully separate program in and of itself). What we are trying to
do is slightly different (my assumption is that it's possible, but maybe
it's not, and we'll have to rethink our plans), in that we'd like to run
two separate instances that are started from and running using the exact
same binary application file(s).

Any hints on how to manage such a setup, with regard to being able to
configure two different postfix "processes" (obviously listening on
different ports!), as well as start and stop them idependently of each
other, would be welcome.

postfix supports running multiple instances in one installation:

in debian (and thus I assume also ubuntu) the startup script support
multiple instances, so you can create instances using postmulti.

IIRC you will apparently need to stop/start postfix, since only the startup
script does all work need to start new instance (building chroots etc)

http://www.postfix.org/postmulti.1.html

perhaps you can start here.

10 GOTO 10 : REM (C) Bill Gates 1998, All Rights Reserved!