Wietse, Thanks so much for your quick and helpful response! It's an honor to
talk to you!

So my idea might only work, if I use the LAN IP address (e.g. 10.1.2.3) of the
internal mail server as relay_host.
If Postfix can't connect to 10.1.2.3, it will probably retry mail relaying for
some days, configurable in maximal_queue_lifetime. That would be fine.

But it will NOT work, if I use an intranet FQDN (e.g.
internalmail.myintranet.corp), which can only be resolved, if the laptop is in
the LAN or VPN.
Then emails get lost if they arrive while not in the LAN / VPN.

Or do you maybe have a different idea / suggestion about how to collect local
system emails from laptop clients?