Got it. So HELO/EHLO is specifically for MTAs. Thank you very much for explaining!

All the best,
Sam

On 23/12/2022 6:37 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
Samer Afach:
Thank you very much, Raf. I really appreciate your empathy and all this
help.

I'm reading more and more every day. I really appreciate your support.
The challenge is knowing what matters.

And about your HELO definition, thanks for explaining it. What confuses
me is that clients usually don't have hostnames (like my laptop with its
Thunderbird installation or my smartphone, don't have a hostname or FQDN
to say HELO with), hence making it a requirement is what I don't
That is OK, MUAs (mail user agents that connect to port 587 etc)
use SASL or some other form of authentication.

On the other hand, MTAs (mail transfer agents that connect to port
25) better have a proper hostname, or the odds that their mail
will be seen as spam will be high.