On 28/12/22 15:06, Dan Mahoney wrote:
(Speaking with my Trusted Domain Project hat on).

Yes, we'll take help.

I have commit access to all the Github repos, and am trying to push out a new
release of OpenDKIM.  I've been meaning to do this for months, but life and
family stuff has been getting in the way.

This is all really great to hear, it's hard seeing such a highly used project as OpenDKIM seemingly go by the wayside so it's good to hear that it's just the same issue we all seem to have (finding time when it's very limited) and not abandonment.

Here are the things I'd really like to focus on:

* Making it work with a more current autoconf (we already did this for
OpenDMARC)
* Making it build cleanly with modern openSSLs.
* Making it support the latest dkim key types (the version you can build from
"devel" already does this.)
* Defining a set of "what the current state of OSes we test this thing are".

What I don't have the access to fix is our mailing lists, but I'm trying to get
that (or at least get a list of the members and fork them off).

Rather than drag this thread on *far* too long, I'd strongly suggest starting
this discussion elsewhere, and this mailing list may not be the place.

Indeed.

The chicken-and-egg problem is that there are a bunch of linuxes that I don't normally use
that someone always insists are important.>  A lot of the submitted patches are
"works for me" but break things on other platforms.  And there's a bunch of stuff
that, honestly, just needs to be ripped the hell out (like the GnuTLS support).

I'd suggest brancing to a new major version and just maintaining the current one a little bit longer with bug fixes, etc. This would mean that you can go forward with these changes without having to worry about messing things up for older platforms.

If people want to get together on some chat platform and bang things out, I'd
love to work with anyone who can.

Feel free to jump into ##email in irc.libera.chat where I'm sure a few of us would be happy to discuss this, and then we can create a #opendkim channel and branch to there if you want.

Peter