Under the `-n` option, the man page currently says

    To show settings that differ from built-in  defaults  only,
    use the following bash syntax:
        comm -23 <(postconf -n) <(postconf -d)
    Replace "-23" with "-12" to show settings that duplicate built-in
    defaults.

Curiously, with the typical LANG=en_US.UTF-8, this complains that the
inputs are not sorted.  It fails at the transition from smtp to smtpd
lines:

    smtp_[whatever]
    smtpd_[whatever]

because, apparently, the highly complex Unicode collation rules modify
how the underscore character (0x5f) is treated.  I couldn't find a
reference explaining exactly why, but it seems to be related to
"variable collation elements".  Adding LC_ALL=C to the front of the
comm command cures the problem.

So I'd like to suggest that the manpage either add the LC_ALL=C prefix
or include a warning about the possible issue under Unicode locales.

--
Jim Garrison
j...@acm.org