“replace Amavis with something faster”

Any suggestions ?

From: <owner-postfix-us...@postfix.org> on behalf of Viktor Dukhovni
<postfix-us...@dukhovni.org>
Date: Monday, January 23, 2023 at 12:28
To: "postfix-users@postfix.org" <postfix-users@postfix.org>
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Mail queue took 3 hours to recover from a flood.
Suggestions ?

On Mon, Jan 23, 2023 at 05:06:34PM +0000, White, Daniel E. (GSFC-770.0)[AEGIS]
wrote:
There was no outage.
The queue filled faster than the processes could process them through.

I do not know which limit to increase to accommodate such bursts of traffic.

I did find 27 instances of this block of info in the logs:

postfix/qmgr[PID]: QUEUE_ID: from=<sender>, size=1370, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
postfix/qmgr[PID]: warning: mail for [127.0.0.1]:10024 is using up NUMBER of
NUMBER active queue entries
postfix/qmgr[PID]: warning: you may need to reduce smtp-amavis connect and helo
timeouts
postfix/qmgr[PID]: warning: so that Postfix quickly skips unavailable hosts
postfix/qmgr[PID]: warning: you may need to increase the main.cf
minimal_backoff_time and maximal_backoff_time
postfix/qmgr[PID]: warning: so that Postfix wastes less time on undeliverable
mail
postfix/qmgr[PID]: warning: you may need to increase the master.cf smtp-amavis
process limit
postfix/qmgr[PID]: warning: please avoid flushing the whole queue when you have
postfix/qmgr[PID]: warning: lots of deferred mail, that is bad for performance
postfix/qmgr[PID]: warning: to turn off these warnings specify:
qmgr_clog_warn_time = 0

Your amavis is too slow.  Perhaps it is doing remote DNS lookups.

But where do I find smtp-amavis connect timeout ?

Tweaking the timeouts won't help in this case, the real issue is Amavis
performance.  Disable the content inspection features that make it slow,
or replace Amavis with something faster.

--
    Viktor.