On Tuesday, 31 January 2023 16:25:05 CET, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
do you have local DNS for 10.0.0.2 range?
or, do you use dnsmasq?

On 01.02.23 10:59, Michael wrote:
great guess! :)

that was the logical explanation why you would dns name without dots at that
place.

the host in question was the local DNS server and returned its internal hostname, totally unknown to me, instead of the fully qualified hostname given by the os.

i have to figure out how to properly configure dnsmasq to return the desired answer, but that's OT here... (although, if you have any hints...)

you already found out, I guess thank to Viktor's comment.

I just add other recommentadion: unless your dnsmasq forwards to your own nameservers running on other your machines, you should use full non-forwarding DNS client on mailserver.

At least, if you want to do any kind of spam filtering - they use multiple DNS-based lists, which tend to block access through DNS resolvers that send too many queries, which ISP resolvers and open resolvers do.

I install BIND on nearly all my mailservers because of this.