On 26-02-2023 15:41, Wietse Venema wrote:
HCImap:
hi,

I am configuring a postfix-based mailserver at home, using the
docker-based mailserver

https://github.com/docker-mailserver/docker-mailserver

Under the hood the version is:

# postconf mail_version
mail_version = 3.5.17

I am trying to use a cidr table to whitelist. But contrary to what I
assumed it seems to read the ascii file, not the db file postmap makes.
Can people perhaps confirm that is how it should be?
Confirmed. Did you notice that the command

     postmap cidr:/etc/postfix/client_checks

terminates with a fatal error?

     postmap: fatal: no 'map create' support for this type: cidr

        Wietse

thanks! Glad to know.

As for your last lines: postmap without the cidr works fine to create a db file, and in the manfile I could find no directions here (there is a little line in man cidr, but I couldnt understand it enough to be helpful).

Given the not very helpful howto's on internet, it could perhaps help if  postmap --help would give some directions. Or a short line in the manpage of postmap or the cidr manpage that the CIDR file is just plain ascii

http://www.postfix.org/cidr_table.5.html

On the internet howto's are sometimes just wrong or give no answer. So perhaps my erroneous assumption is made more often. See these howto's for illustration:

https://access.redhat.com/solutions/888643

Thanks for creating this wonderful MTA!

https://linuxlasse.net/linux/howtos/Blacklist_and_Whitelist_with_Postfix